Thursday, November 29, 2007

Study Abroad



Studying abroad has proved to be a very challenging experience for me. When I first arrived to the United States, I faced many obstacles. I had to adjust to the climate, time, living situation, language, and culture. I also missed my family and friends tremendously. I was homesick.

When I arrived on campus, I was greeted by a guide. He showed me the dormitory where I had initially planned to live. I was completely disgusted by the room, so I made arrangements to live with family. I did not like my teachers and classes. I also had trouble understanding the accents of this region. I was not used to this way of life at all, and I was ready to go home.

Soon, I began to settle in and really start enjoying the American way of life. I began to relate to my instructors, and I made friends with some of the other students. I became familiar with the city and the campus. I also realized that living with my family was a great comfort to me. Things were already improving.

I began to realize that things were falling into place. The things I initially disliked, I began to love. The things that I first disagreed with now made sense to me. I am still here, and continuing to enjoy my experience as an international student. I have made many friends and established great relationships with my professors. I still face adversity and frustration from time to time, but I will not let this interfere.

This experience has not only expanded my knowledge academically, but it has also expanded my knowledge of American culture and tradition. I feel that I am a changed person, and that coming abroad has made me who I am today. I had not made the decision to travel abroad; I would have missed out on a wonderful opportunity. I have no regrets, and I am certain that I will use this knowledge in my future.

3 comments:

dvmunca said...

Mohhanad, why didn't you like the teachers and the classmates when you came to MS?

Pauline said...

WAW! your article was so good! I understand your point of view even if my experience was quite different at the beginning! I was really excited and I loved everything! Now I chilled out and I still enjoy it!

Pauline.

Kelly said...

At first I also didn't like guess hall's room like you. Because it is very different from my country. But I adapted here and still live in guess hall.